UPDATE: for 2017 we have been placed at our first choice 8:15 and C! Also, We have space for a few more campers!!! Apply Here<---
We are a group of friends from all over the world whom rendezvous once a year to live, work, learn, play and party hard while Participating in the pure awesome of all that isBurning Man.
We created a Theme Camp as our primary contribution to the community of BRC, in 2017 we will be known as the "PlayaNauts" meaning roughly: "explorers of the playa" (see "Playa Dust") We also have ourart carScarabis Beetalius that roams the playa day and night.
This is the rough layout plan for 2014's camp grounds
Green area indicates our Public space, White is our camping area.
we have since made slight changes but this gives you a general idea of our set-up.
We come from all over, and have operated from Eugene OR, Miami FL, San Francisco, CA and now the last few years we base our set-up operations in South Lake Tahoe, CA. Once we arrive to Black Rock City, we are always in the 9 o'clock neighborhood, usually around A-C street, last year (2016) we had a prime spot right in the thick of it all at 9:15+A by Sparkle donkey village and backed up the Bubbles and Bass. UPDATE: WE GOT PLACEMENT for 2017 ON 8:15 and C !!! (although we loved A street, we requested to be a block or two deeper to reduce the foot traffic and moop blowing through our campground area.)
We have a few planning meetings throughout the year, and one pre-playa set-up party (TBA) but our camp is of course focused on the week of Burning Man. This year that's August 27th - September 4th
Why the Fuck not? We believe that "Theme camps are the interactive Core of Burning Man" and a playful challenge to the vast reductive desert landscape, an expansion of the infectious and celebratory nature of the event...Plus, we all are going out there regardless, creating a camp allows us a avenue to collect and focus our artwork, music and participatory creative energy. oh yeah and because we need a sweet spot to set-up our Bar ;)
Lots of planning and hard work on and off-playa allows us all to enjoy an organized, fun, supportive "Home Base" for all of our BRC adventures. All camp members help shoulder the yearly financial obligations of making camp happen in the form of camp "dues" Details can be found on our FAQ page If you are not familiar with camp dues and what they do.
10 REASONS TO JOIN A CAMP
1) The support of a close group of friends and the special (often lifelong) Burner relationships made. When problems develop, battery problems, bicycle breakdowns, Sickness (dehydration, substance misuse, sun-stroke) it's nice to have helpful camp mates.
2) Considerable logistical help - Coolers, hauling water, Cooking equipment, Kitchen Facilities, propane, shade structures, transporting gear, storage of said gear, Grey-water system, shower facilities, (shower partner/s?) etc
3) Plenty of 1-on-1 tips and tricks from veteran Burners and their network of Burner contacts - (Helpful for many reasons ex: arranging ride shares, where to stock up, how not to make the common virgin mistakes etc)
4) You can start to get a feel for what BM is all about by meeting (virtually or physically) with camp mates months prior to reaching the playa.
5) When with a placed camp you're usually camped closer to the Esplanade (the inner street) and folks actively head for theme camps, so much of BM will come to you if you hang at camp- you're in the thick of the action unless you retreat to your tent
6) The weather is harsh, conversations can be deep and intense, and activities are diverse and sometimes extremely trying. It's nice to have friends around, a shoulder to cry on, and others to laugh with.
7) It's good to have a built-in group to talk with about experiences and things to try. When you lose your friends at 2 o'clock (at 3:00am) you know that you can head back to camp and meet familiar faces to head out with again.
8) Being part of a theme-camp is a fun and exciting (and somewhat convenient) way of making a contribution to BRC.
9) You have many people to help out with a camp project - consider your camp a blank canvas for your imagination and your camp mates willing assistants.
10) Possible early entry to BRC before everyone else. (sure it means working hard to set up your camp, but you get to skip the crazy long lines)